Looking for a keto appetizer that’ll satisfy your carb craving? This is it! These easy Low Carb Keto Garlic Breadsticks are soft and chewy, seasoned with garlic, herbs, and a buttery topping.
Easy Keto Breadsticks with Almond Flour!
So I think we can all agree that the upside to keto (aside from the health benefits) is bacon. But, the downside (if there is one) is probably baking.
Yes, for those of us who love sweet treats, especially baked items, it can get a little tricky! Baking with almond flour and coconut flour is helpful, but those flours aren’t necessarily easy to turn into chewy, “gluten-esque” breads and cakes.
Enter this super-easy recipe for keto breadsticks! Based on the extremely popular “fathead” dough recipe, the breadsticks bake up with a texture similar to soft pizza crust, guaranteed to satisfy those bread cravings! And, with classic Italian garlic-and-herb seasoning, plus a fresh melted butter topping with more garlic, these will be totally irresistible to everyone, low-carb or not!
What is fathead dough?
Fathead dough has been around for some time, and it’s not totally clear where the recipe originated. It gets its unusual name from Tom Naughton’s tongue-in-cheek documentary Fat Head, which challenged traditional low-fat diets.
Fat Head promoted a high-fat, low-carb approach to dieting instead, and later when Naughton started a blog, the simple cheese-based dough was one of the blog’s most popular recipes. Since then, it’s been tweaked and remixed to make all kinds of different spin-offs for different uses!
Fathead dough itself is a marvel of keto chemistry. Made with baked cheese, almond flour, and eggs, it bakes up into a chewy, truly bread-like result that can be used for my Margherita Pizza, flatbread, and more! These breadsticks are just one easy way to use fathead dough. I like to make mine with almond flour, some simple seasonings, and a bit of baking powder.
What You’ll Need
Let’s take a closer look at the specific ingredients for these Keto Garlic Breadsticks! Aside from the zesty blend of spices and herbs, there are really only a few easy staples here, to create the soft, bready dough.
For the Breadsticks
- Part-Skim Mozzarella: Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese is the basis of this chewy dough. Make sure to use part-skim, not full-fat, to keep the moisture level manageable.
- Cream Cheese: A small amount of cream cheese is blended with the mozzarella before adding the other ingredients.
- Almond Flour: Using almond flour helps create the bready texture, while keeping the carbs low.
- Egg: A large, whole egg helps bind the ingredients into a cohesive dough.
- Baking Powder: A small amount of baking powder helps lighten the texture of the breadsticks.
- Garlic Powder: This is an easy way to add that authentic “pizza joint breadsticks” taste!
- Italian Seasoning: This versatile spice and herb blend is tasty and really elevates the dough’s simple cheese and almond taste.
- Salt and Pepper
For the Garlic Butter Topping
- Butter: A little bit of melted butter is the base of the topping. You could also use olive oil, if you prefer.
- Garlic: Mince a clove of garlic to give the topping a savory bite.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley adds a light herbal note and a bit of color. You can substitute dried if you prefer.
How to Make Keto Garlic Breadsticks
It’s important to mix the dough thoroughly until it’s a smooth, well-incorporated mixture. If you find that it’s too sticky, try refrigerating it for 10-20 minutes. If it’s too stiff, you can heat it on low to re-melt a little bit.
- Melt the Cheeses. Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Stir the cheeses together as they melt. When they’re completely melted together, take them off the heat and let them cool for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the Remaining Dough Ingredients. Stir the almond flour, egg, baking powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper into the cheese mixture. Continue stirring until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. If you need to use your hands or a mixer, those are great options!
- Roll the Dough. To roll the dough without sticking, lay a sheet of parchment on your work surface. Place the dough on the parchment and press it down somewhat. Lay a second sheet of parchment on top. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough flat between the parchment sheets, about ¼ inch thick.
- Brush with Topping and Bake. Discard the top sheet of parchment paper. Pick up the dough using the bottom sheet of parchment, and place it on a baking sheet. Combine the melted butter, minced garlic, and parsley in a small bowl, and brush the mixture over the dough.
- Bake. Bake the breadsticks for about 15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. Remove the breadsticks from the oven and carefully transfer them (still using the parchment) to a cutting board. Let them rest for a few minutes before cutting with a pizza cutter.
- Enjoy! Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
Tips for Success
To make sure that your garlic breadsticks turn out amazing, check out these helpful hints for troubleshooting any issues with your keto baking!
- Dough Consistency: It’s important to mix the dough thoroughly until it’s a smooth, well-incorporated mixture. If you find that it’s too sticky, try adding more flour or refrigerating it for 10 to 20 minutes. If it’s too stiff, you can heat it on low to re-melt.
- Just Keep Mixing: Don’t worry if the dough seems like it won’t come together at first! The ingredients take a little time to come together, but if you just keep stirring and mixing they will form into a smooth, soft, even dough. You can also make the dough in a food processor for ultra-efficient mixing.
- Make Pizza: Besides making breadsticks, you can also roll this dough out and pre-bake it before topping with marinara, mozzarella, and any other toppings you like!
You can serve breadsticks with all kinds of goodies! They make a fabulous snack or appetizer with marinara dipping sauce, or any other sauce you like!. They’re also great alongside a soup-and-salad meal, or with a handful of other appetizers to make a “small plate” menu. Here are some easy recipes to whet your appetite and get your creative juices flowing!
- Alfredo Sauce: This simple homemade Alfredo Sauce with Basil Pesto is perfect for dipping, and it’s keto-friendly, as well!
- Tomato Soup: This creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is rich with real roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic, and basil, and goes beautifully with homemade keto breadsticks.
- Chicken Wings: These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings include a homemade Sriracha-butter dipping sauce—you’ll want to make double to go with these keto breadsticks.
How to Store and Reheat Extra Breadsticks
- To store leftover breadsticks, place them in airtight food storage containers or bags, and place in the fridge for up to four days.
- To reheat, place the breadsticks in the oven or toaster oven (not a traditional upright toaster!) until warm.
Can I Freeze Breadsticks?
- Yes, you can! In fact, you can choose to freeze the dough and bake it fresh later, or you can make the breadsticks, freeze them, and reheat. Here’s how:
- To freeze fathead dough, make the dough and then wrap it carefully in several layers of plastic wrap. Place in a freezer bag, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before bringing to room temperature, rolling, and baking.
- To freeze the breadsticks, cool them and wrap them tightly in several layers of plastic wrap. Place in a freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake again, directly from frozen, to reheat.
Keto Garlic Breadsticks
- 1 ½ cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Dipping sauces like marinara or ranch for serving
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Add shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to a non-stick skillet; heat over medium heat and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand 30 seconds.
- Stir in almond flour, egg, baking powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; continue to stir until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the dough to a parchment paper-lined surface.
- Add another piece of parchment paper over the dough.
- Place a rolling pin over the top parchment paper; start rolling into an oval until the dough is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Remove the top parchment paper and discard.
- Slide the dough, with the bottom parchment paper, onto a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine melted butter, minced garlic, and parsley; brush the garlic butter mixture over the dough.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven; carefully transfer bread to a cutting board and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into breadsticks.
- Serve with dipping sauces.
- NET CARBS: 3 g
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
17 comments on “Low Carb Keto Garlic Breadsticks”
Would this recipe make a good alternative to keto pizza crust?? Thanks!
Also, I have a recipe for keto pizza right here 👉 https://diethood.com/keto-pizza-margherita-recipe/
These breadsticks taste amazing! Perfect appetizer
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy them! 🙂
This is such a great addition to our favorite side dishes! Thank you!
I hope everyone enjoys it! Thank YOU! 🙂
These garlic breadsticks are on my must-make list!
I hope you’ll enjoy them! Thank YOU! 🙂
This is such an irresistible appetizer. Love that it’s easy and is made from simple ingredients.
Thank you so much! I hope you’ll enjoy it! 🙂
So tasty and would never guess that they are a healthy option. Will be making again very soon!
Thank YOU! I am very glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
These are so perfect for the keto lifestyle. You can get your breadstick fix and still stay on track.
Thank YOU! I hope you’ll enjoy them! 🙂
These were to DIE for! Perfect texture and taste!
Super delicious! Love this with zoodles and sauce! Incredible that they taste so good but they’re keto!
These are delicious! They have that just right chewy texture and are perfect for dipping!