How to Make and Store Cauliflower Rice: Learn how to make, store, and cook cauliflower rice.
Friends, I am a huge fan of faux carbs, starting with all-the-things spiralized – Stir Fry Zucchini Noodles – and everything else “riced” – like, Carrots and Cauliflower Tots.
Cauliflower Rice is healthy, gluten-free, easy to make, easy to store, and it’s totally delicious. It’s also a great way to minimize starches and squeeze more vegetables into your day.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE
There are two ways to make cauliflower rice:
- You can use a grater and, using the medium-sized holes, grate the cauliflower until it starts to resemble rice.
- The second method, which is the one that I prefer, is to use a food processor or a blender with a “pulse” function:
- First, you will want to cut up the cauliflower head into florets.
- Place florets into the food processor and pulse several times, or until the cauliflower begins to resemble rice-like grains. Do not crowd the food processor, instead work in batches.
HOW TO STORE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- After ricing the cauliflower in the food processor, you want to transfer it to ziploc bags.
- If stored in the fridge, it will be good for up to 4 days. Stored in the freezer, it will keep good for 2 months.
- The rice can be defrosted on the counter before cooking.
When making a larger batch to freeze, I like to use about 4 heads of cauliflower, which helps in significantly cutting my prep time for when I want to cook up some “rice”.
HOW TO COOK CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Cook cauliflower rice in a skillet with olive oil or butter, and add any of your favorite spices.
- You can also fry some onions and garlic with it, and add a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice.
- Serve with fresh herbs such as basil, cilantro, rosemary, etc…
HOW TO MICROWAVE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave-safe baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap, or use a lid, and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, carefully lift off the plastic wrap, and stir around the cauliflower. Cover again and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Remove from microwave, season, and serve.
CAULIFLOWER RICE RECIPES TO TRY:
Garlic Butter Cauliflower Rice with Spinach
Honey Sriracha Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
How to Make and Store Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Remove all green leaves, then wash and dry the cauliflower completely.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Working in batches, place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until broken down into rice-size pieces. Do not let the food processor just run because you will end up with mush.
- Scoop UNCOOKED cauliflower rice into ziploc bags, squeeze any excess air out, and flatten the bags.
- Place and store in the freezer for 2 months.
- You can also keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To cook, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet; add cauliflower rice, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid and season with salt, pepper, and seasonings of choice. Serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
12 comments on “How to Make and Store Cauliflower Rice”
Can you make cauliflower mashed out of the frozen riced? If so please share recipe. Thx!
I have not tried to mash cauli rice, but I guess you can just cook it according to the directions, then add couple pats of butter, if you want to, and mash.
Thank you for this information. I’ve been trying to figure out did I need to steam the cauliflower before ricing, now I know better. I’m going to mix broccoli and cauliflower in a couple bags.
Hi! Why can’t I freeze cooked cauliflower rice?
Once cooked, you technically can freeze cauliflower rice, however there will be a considerable change in the texture when you thaw it out. For that reason, I recommend freezing cauliflower rice before cooking.
Can you make fried rice
Can it be cooked in a rice cooker?
Hi! I have never cooked cauliflower rice in a rice cooker because, considering you don’t really boil cauliflower rice, I am not sure that a rice cooker would be a good way to prepare it. It will most likely turn it to mush because of overcooking. Sauteeing is the best way to go because it adds a lot of flavor and it’s pretty quick to make – 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the amount that you’re cooking.
Can the cauliflower rice be cooked in the microwave?
Yep, you can microwave it. Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, or use a lid, and microwave for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave, carefully lift off the plastic wrap, and stir around the cauliflower. Cover again and microwave for 1 more minute.
good to know about how long this can be refrigerated and frozen, since I don’t want to pulse cauliflower every day, it’s the perfect bad carb good carb ninja substitute, thank you
Read it again! 2 months frozen